Thursday, February 26, 2009

Going crazy with "unable to start debugging on web server" in Visual Studio 2005?

So ever tried to setup visual studio 2005 on a new machine and all you want to do is just debug a application in IIS? I recently attemped doing this and got the friendly error message: unable to start debugging on web server. the web server is not configured correctly vs2005 Does not help does it? The message too generic and the thing(s) that caused it unknown So after googling for over 3 hrs and trying number of proposed solution, I came across a forum where Chandan Gowda had the right solution for it. Here is the post
  1. iisreset -stop
  2. Goto C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
  3. aspnet_regiis -ua
  4. aspnet regiis -i
  5. aspnet_regiis -ga machinename\aspnet
  6. goto C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
  7. aspnet_regiis -i
  8. iisreset -start

  • Uninstall all versions of .Net frameworks using aspnet_regiis -ua
  • Re register the version of .Net framework using aspnet_regiis -i
  • Add machine's aspnet user to the web operator group using aspnet_regiis -ga machinename\aspnet
  • And you are done.
The Problem: I installed IIS after installing Visual Studio. I did run aspnet_regiis -i to re register .net but did not add the aspnet user to the web operator group.

Always Remember: Make sure IIS is installed before you install any version of Visual Studio Hope this information will save someones time and help reduce the frustration which I went through.

Monday, February 2, 2009

Lets learn from my mistakes

How many times have you spend hours to fix a bug (technical jargon) and you know that it is something small you have missed that's causing this to fail only to realise later that it was some small thing you missed. Well, now that you have the solution for the small error you made, can you remember it for a later time? say an year or maybe even few months. Its not always that you remember the solution you implemented the last time you faced such an issue. So here I am trying to help you learn from MY mistakes :)
I will keep adding more as and when I come across more issues
  • 1
    IE behaves differently from Firefox when I put a rowspan
    Appaerntly IE disregards 'rowspan' as it expects the 's' in rowspan to be in upper case.
    So something that would work on both IE and Firefox is 'rowSpan'
  • 2
    When I put html in blogger html editor, for some reason it puts huge amount of spaces/breaks in it
    Convert line breaks is set to 'Yes'
    Go to Settings >> Formatting and make sure 'Convert line breaks' is set to 'No'
  • 3
    When I try to use xml.query in SQL for an attribute i keep getting the error "XQuery [query()]: Attribute may not appear outside of an element"
    There are certain limitations with accessing XML data type in SQL and the errors thrown are not really helpful in identifying what is the real issue. There are different ways to access value from a node and attribute.
    Use data() instead. I looked up on google and Matija Lah's post helped me resolve this. To access attributes use
    Select .query('data(@PubDate)').value('.','datetime') as PublishDate